The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (hereafter called the College) was founded in 1911 under Chapter 851 of the New York State Education Law. At that time it was the New York State College of Forestry at Syracuse University and the formation of a State University in New York was far in the future. However, by 1948 the College became a unit within the newly formed State University of New York and in 1972 the College name was changed to its present name: State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY ESF). Over the last 100 years the state, the nation, and the world have changed and the College has kept pace with those changes. Responses to change are sometimes dramatic, sometimes slow and evolutionary, sometimes lagging behind a movement, and sometimes anticipating the future. The history of the College is the story of:
• programs (teaching, research, outreach)
• physical plant (buildings, properties, equipment)
• people (faculty, students, administrators, legislators)
Canham, Hugh O., "SUNY ESF: 100 Years and Still Going Strong" (2011). College History. 3.