The Roosevelt Wild Life Station was established by an act of the New York State Legislature in 1919 to memorialize Theodore Roosevelt as a wildlife conservationist. The Station was established at the College of Forestry at Syracuse University (now SUNY-ESF) through the efforts of Dr. Charles C. Adams, who was a professor of forest zoology at the College and director of the New York State Museum in Albany.
In the beginning, the Station's research focus was driven by a lack of basic understanding of the biology of forest-dependent animals, primarily game species. Thanks to powerful conservationists who relied on scientific information provided by institutions such as the Roosevelt Wild Life Station, wild animals became recognized as a "natural resource" worthy of management alongside timber, pasture and water. The Roosevelt Wild Life Station provided some of the earliest investigations into the natural history of wildlife, such as beaver and their importance to ecosystems and society.
Browse the The Roosevelt Wild Life Station Collections:
Roosevelt Wild Life Annals
Roosevelt Wild Life Bulletins